Saturday, February 23, 2013

Flashdance - The Musical

The Tampa Bay Bloggers and I saw Flashdance - The Musical at the Straz Center for the Performing Arts on opening night, February 19th.  I brought one of my sisters as my +1. 

The week before the show we discussed wearing 80s clothes to truely engage in the era of the show.  We reminished about the hideous fashion choices we made in the 80s.  The day of the show, I verified with my friends that they were, in fact, dressing in 80s garb.  I did not want to be the only one stuck in the past!  My friends came through and I think we looked fantastic!






I think I've seen the entire Flashdance movie but I can't quite remember.  I was only 8 when the original movie came out in April 1983.  It was rated R, so a no go for me see. I don't think I could see rated R movies until I was 15.  A couple of us met up at Taps before the show for dinner and drinks.  Then we walked over to the Straz Center.  We sat down and the opening number started with a bang!

Emily Padgett played Alex Owens, the main character who is a welder and an aspiring professional dancer.  Her dancing and athletic physique brought the character to life.  Song after song, the cast delivered!  I sang along with the music and bopped my head to the beat.  Act one ended with Maniac and the infamous Flashdance water scene.


Act two continued with the hits and Flashdance story.  One of my favorite songs of act two was Gloria.  Gloria, Gloria, I think they got your number, Gloria, I think they got the alias, Gloria, That you've been livin' under, Gloria.  The last song was Alex performing her Shipley audition to What A Feeling and then joined by the full company of dancers.  It was an amazing ending to the musical.



Flashdance - The Musical is playing February 19-24 at the Straz Center in downtown Tampa.

Do you have a favorite muscial?


I was given complimentary tickets to Flashdance - The Musical. All opinions are my own.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a fun night! I wonder if there is a local group of bloggers here in Cincinnati?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!