Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Best Damn Race 10K 2016


This race is in early February each year, falling on February 6, 2016 this year.  Fortunately for us Floridians, the weather was cool and gorgeous, making it perfect for running! You never really know what the weather will bring in a Florida February.

I ran the 10K distance this year along the hilly course. They said the course was flat but compared to Pasco County flat, the Safety Harbor hills are like mountains. I found that out the hard way two years ago when I ran the half marathon. So at a pre-race dinner with friends, I told one of my friends, Christine, that it wasn't flat but there was really just one BIG hill.

It was a chilly 48 degrees at our 6:45 am start. I wore the throw away jacket that I bought from Goodwill, that I didn't use at Savannah or Space Coast. Of course I still had my RunningSkirt on. The Best Damn Race Safety Harbor course took us along the waters of Safety Harbor and Old Tampa Bay giving breathtaking views and an amazing sunrise.

The first hill came just after the one mile mark. It was a steady incline up and I thought about what I told my friend Christine, because this was not the one BIG hill I mentioned. At least we got to run back down and pick up some momentum. Then we ran over another hill and another. I thought to myself "Good grief, I forgot how many hills were on this course! Poor Christine probably thinks each one is the big one I told her about."

Best Damn Race

I'm not sure if I was running, flying or coming in for a hug in that picture!  I kept on running, doing my best. Shortly before the 4 mile mark, I finally climbed the BIG hill I remembered.  My heel was holding up with minimal pain so I tried to finish strong even though I knew I wouldn't beat last year's PR.

Best Damn Race

Best Damn Race

Best Damn Race


Best Damn Race

Best Damn Race

I finished and was happy with my time! I was only 1 minute 13 seconds slower than last year when I was training much more. This year I had heel issues, no speed training and extra pounds.
I love that Best Damn Race gave it's racers FREE race photos!!

Best Damn Race
Christine and I
One of the best parts of the Best Damn Race was the free drinks after the race! They had beer, hard root beer, bloody mary's, and screwdrivers. They also had donuts, Jimmy John's sandwiches and chicken, black beans and rice. Yum!

Best Damn Race

Best Damn Race


Age Div: 26/157
Gender Place: 144/888
Overall Place: 316/1259
5K Split: 28:04.9

Avg Pace: 9:05
Gun time: 56:38.5
Chip time: 56:27.5


Best Damn Race


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!