Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sweet Potato, Asparagus, and Chicken Orzo [Foodie Friday]


I'm trying to cook healthier, less processed dinners for my family.  I ate a chicken risotto dish at Brio a couple of weeks ago and loved it.  I came up with a this new dish by making some changes to the Brio dish. I didn't want all the extras that come with making risotto so I used whole wheat orzo instead.  My husband and I loved it!  We both took it for lunch the next day...which is huge for me because I usually don't eat leftovers.


Sweet Potato, Asparagus, and Chicken Orzo




Sweet Potato, Asparagus, Chicken Orzo


Ingredients:
  • 2 sweet potatoes cubed
  • 1 lb asparagus (cleaned and trimmed)
  • 4 chicken breasts cubed
  • 1 cup orzo
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp dill weed
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • olive oil and coconut oil
  • salt & pepper
  • garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning
 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400○
  2. Place cubed sweet potatoes in a gallon Ziploc bag, add 2 tbsp olive oil, salt/pepper, garlic/onion powder and Italian seasonings to taste (I use about 3 shakes of each). Seal and shake the bag to coat potatoes, then pour potatoes into a roasting pan.
  3. Bake for 35 min total (20 min then add asparagus for 15 min)
  4. Add asparagus to the same Ziploc bag with 1 tsp olive oil, shake, and add them to roasting pan when potatoes have 15 min left
  5. Cook orzo according to package directions
  6. Put 1 TBSP coconut oil in a large skillet over med/high heat. Let the pan get very hot before you add the cubed chicken so the chicken will brown, cook about 3 min per side.
  7. When orzo is finished cooking, drain and return to pan. Add lemon juice, dill, parsley and salt/pepper to taste.
  8. Add sweet potatoes, asparagus and orzo to the large skillet with the cooked chicken and serve immediately
Recipe by Chrissy @ Loving Life
http://lovinglife27.blogspot.com/2013/05/foodie-friday-sweet-potato-asparagus.html


Photobucket

1 comment:

Talk to me!