Friday, May 1, 2015

Gasparilla 15k Recap 2015


The Gasparilla 5K was my first race back in 2009, so even though this race is very crowded each year, I still run it.  The bling is pretty awesome too!

This was my second 15K race with Gasparilla 2014 being my first.  Last year I took my time because it was so hot and an automatic PR.  This year I planned to secure a faster time.

On race morning I met up with my running group for pictures and well wishes.


Me, my sister, my cousin

The morning was cool with temperatures in the mid 40s. The race started at 6:45 am and the sun wasn't quite up yet.  We ran along Bayshore Blvd near downtown Tampa.  I felt great and warmed up quickly as the sun rose.



I remembered that every year after the halfway turn around point, volunteers handed out Krispy Kreme donuts.  I never stopped in the past but this year I planned to stop for a donut snack.  As I approached the donut tables, I shuttered.  All thoughts went to... donuts and running in the Florida heat, don't mix well.  I passed on the melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness of Krispy Kreme donuts.


I still felt strong and was having a nice race.  At about mile 7, the 1:30 pace group caught up and passed me.  I was ok with that because I started before them and this was the first time they passed me.  My plan was to finish under 1:30 so I tagged along at the back of the pace group.  I didn't realize how much I needed that pace group until I had to keep up with them.  It was a good push to the finish and kept me on pace.



Another successful race finished with a 7+ minute PR!  And then I got to hang out with some pirates!  ARG

Div Place:  110/490
Gender Place:  626/3017
Overall Place: 1641/5257
Halfway Split time:  43:08
Average Pace:  9:09/mi
Chip time:  1:25:19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!